Tena Koutou, Talofa Lava, Malo e Lelei, Namaste, Ni sa bula, Noaia’e mauri, Fakalofa lahi atu, Kia Orana, Ni Hao, An Nyung Ha Sai Yo, Nay Ho, Hej. Greetings to our school families.

DSCN4533 (8)I have been reminded once again over the past few weeks, how strong our wee community is, and how much support is actually out there. I have seen people swing in to support families in times of need, and access community networks such as “Nourish”, and really demonstrate a sense of “you are not alone”. Thank you for everyone who has contributed – you know who you are.

This week our Senior Management Team have been off-site at a conference focusing on “Sustained Success for Schools”.  With a new-look leadership team, this has allowed us some valuable time to start making plans to for the future. Along with our BOT, we will be setting priorities for the direction we need to take, and will be asking for your feedback on this in the near future. Exciting times ahead!

Nga mihi,

Kathryn Ramel

Principal

School Diary

Week 6: 5 June – 9 June

Mon 5.6   Queen’s Birthday

Tues 6.6-Fri 9.6 Year 6 Camp Tongariro

Week 7: 12 June – 16 June

Tues 13.6    Puriri 2 Trees for Survival Planting Day at Solways

Fri 16.6     Full School Assembly – Nikau 1

Week 8: 19 June – 23 June

Mon 19.6    ERO in the school as part of our normal review cycle

Tues 20.6   Netball Zone Day – Year 5 & 6

Weds 21.6  Camp Tongariro Assembly – 12:00pm (all welcome)

Fri 23.6   Senior School Planting Day at Scandretts (Year 5 & 6 only)

Welcoming Steffan Meyer and Bayleys Warkworth as Sponsors of our School

Steffan 2The BOT are delighted to announce that Bayleys Real Estate Warkworth, through our local agent, and parent of our school, Steffan Meyer, have become leading Sponsors of our School. Steffan and Mark Macky have already met with some members of the PTA to find out how they can support out up-coming Quiz Night, and other initiatives that the PTA will lead. Bayleys have a long history of supporting schools in our area, and we look forward to the opportunities that lie ahead.

Bayleys

Thank you for supporting our Mini-Gala!

We are proud to announce we have banked a little over $2000 following the Mini-Gala last week. All profits are distributed evenly across our year 6 Campers, deducting a significant amount off their final camp invoice.

The Mini-Gala has become an important event on our school calendar. It is a real-life context for our students to learn the value of money, rather than just hold their hands out to Mum & Dad. They have to consider costing, investment vs profit, and the interests of their target market. The Year 5s participate, knowing that they, in turn, will receive support when they are Year 6s. It also is a real life example of our school values – supporting one another to achieve our goals. And most importantly it’s always heaps of fun!

Congratulations to our Mini-Gala raffle winners:

The McGarvey Family – The Huge Chocolate Bunny
June Spragg – The MMK Meal Voucher

Congratulations to Puriri 2!

Huge congratulations to Puriri 2 who were the Daily Winners in the Auckland North Maths Contest on Sumdog, on the 19th of May! They are also currently coming 3rd overall. Obviously some great mathematicians, problem solvers and creative thinkers among our Year 4 and Year 3’s this year. We are very proud of you all!

Maths Pur 2

Brilliant Writing by Olivia France of Totara 1 on this term’s value: Peace Rangimaarie

My Peaceful Moment

My peaceful moment is when I was doing handstands in my backyard. My hands were touching the freshly cut grass, the light, crisp scented breeze swimming around in the air. Trees swishing back and forth. Fresh fruit falling from the branches and flowers blooming from small buds. The topaz sun sitting on the milky blue sky up above. I could see robins atop thick branches, peeking at flowers. I could taste cold air, biting at my tongue. I felt relaxed and calm as the emerald green bushes swayed and danced with the breeze. I could hear the soft sound of chirping and birds singing. I could hear my feet thump on the ground as I landed gracefully after my hand stand. The trees were talking to each other gently, in the cool, crisp air. I do one last handstand, my hands touching the soft fluffy grass, and go inside.

Junior Basketball Sunday Sessions

Bball Club Sessions Term 2 2017North Harbour Basketball are starting up their junior Sunday Sessions again:

Sundays 10am-11am @ Mahurangi College for ages 5-12
Cost = $50 for the term
Sessions are lead by Coach Kurt Dammers who is one of NZs best and longest standing youth coaches. Contact Zac Fitzgerald for more info at schools@harbourbasketball.co.nz   or 0210659721

Guitar Lessons – after school Weds

Due to winter sports there are some spaces in guitar lessons this term:

Dianne Morgan takes guitar lessons in Nikau 2 on a Wednesday afternoon. The 3:15pm guitar class is for 30 minutes at $5 per class and is for 5-8 year olds. The 3:45 pm guitar class is for 45 minutes at $7.50 a class and is for the 9-12 year olds. There is also room in the intermediate class, for students who already know the main chords. That class is also 45 mins long, costs $7.50 and is from 4:30pm onwards for any age student, as it is based on experience.

For further information, contact Dianne on 0210394939 or musicmakerdiannem@gmail.com

Talbot Dance Academy Lessons

After school Dance lessons with the Talbot Dance Academy are in the school hall on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Including jazz & ballet. For more information see their website http://www.talbotdanceacademy.co.nz/

Thinking Caps – Quality “in school” Maths Tuition Available

Email carolyn@thinkingcaps.co.nz or ph 09 424 3536 for further details

Thinking Caps_ Advert_2017